French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons
- Prepare 4 of yellow onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 4 of red onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of leek, finely sliced and washed.
- It’s 5 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive or avocado oil.
- Prepare 1 of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare 2 litres of good quality unsalted beef stock.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of red wine.
- You need 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella & parmesan to serve.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of salt (to taste).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of ground pepper (to taste).
- Prepare 1 of French stick, sliced thickly diagonally.
- It’s 1/4 cup of grated cheddar and Parmesan.
French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Mozzarella Croutons step by step
- Slice all onions and leeks..
- Heat a large heavy base on high heat and melt the butter and add olive oil. Add onions and leek. Turn the heat down and sweat down onions slowly for around half an hour. Stir occasionally, and keep the lid so that it 3/4 covers pot, allowing steam to escape..
- Do not rush it! That may result the onions to burn. Rather have the onions caramelized which will give the soup a nice dark brown color. It may even take an hour..
- Once the onions are done, add garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper..
- Deglaze pot with wine and vinegar. Add stock. Bring to the boil – reduce heat and simmer for a further 1/2 hour. Check and adjust seasoning if needed..
- Now to get croutons ready. Heat oven to 160*C. Slice French stick. Grate mozzarella and Parmesan over bread. Grate extra cheese to add to soup..
- Bake until golden brown an cheese has melted. Remove and set aside..
- Serve soup in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and top with croutons. Yum!.