20 Minute Skillet: Penne with turkey, roasted butternut squash, and spinach.
Ingredients of 20 Minute Skillet: Penne with turkey, roasted butternut squash, and spinach
- Prepare 1 of large butternut squash cubed (I buy already cubed squash when I can get it. Otherwise prep time exceeds 20 min!).
- Prepare to taste of Seasonings: garlic powder, thyme, paprika, pepper, salt.
- Prepare of Olive or avocado oil.
- You need 1 lb of ground turkey.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 1 of small onion diced.
- Prepare 6 cups of fresh spinach roughly chopped.
- It’s 1/4 cup of white wine.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 12 oz of whole grain penne pasta.
- You need of Chopped walnuts.
- It’s of Parmesan cheese and/or ricotta cheese.
20 Minute Skillet: Penne with turkey, roasted butternut squash, and spinach step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with avocado oil. Add cubed squash. Season with garlic powder, thyme, paprika, pepper. Mix well and bake for 15-20 min turning midway through.. You can broil for a few minutes. I like squash to be crispy and brown..
- Meanwhile in a non stick large skillet sauté garlic and onion in avocado oil (can substitute any healthy oil you like).
- Add ground turkey to pan and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach to mixture and a dash of garlic powder..
- Once spinach has wilted down some add the wine and chicken broth. You can alter the liquids according to preference..
- While mixture simmers on a low flame add the pasta to boiling water in another pot..
- Cook pasta (Aldente) and drain, reserving some of the pasta water to add to skillet..
- Add walnuts to baking sheet and broil for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt..
- Add butternut squash and nuts to turkey mixture..
- Add pasta, pasta water and about 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese to skillet. (omit cheese for a cleaner dish).
- Stir mixture and serve with freshly grated Parmesan and/or ricotta cheese (again omit for a cleaner dish).