Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla). You can get Calzone di Cipolla (Onion Pie) in almost any Pizza Store in Bari, it's as popular as pizza is. We make this on Frridays during Lent sometimes, when you are noy allowed to eat meat. Since onions are the 'star of the show', the choice of onion will strongly affect the end result.
Ingredients of Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla)
- Prepare 250 g of flour.
- It’s 250 g of semolina flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of instant yeast.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 200 ml of lukewarm water.
- It’s 150 ml of olive oil.
- Prepare of Onion filling.
- You need 4 of big white onions.
- Prepare 5 of anchovies filets.
- Prepare 100 g of sliced olives (green or black).
- It’s 2 tablespoons of raisins (optional).
- Prepare 50 g of grated Pecorino.
Post jobs, find pros, and collaborate commission-free in our professional marketplace. Get your team aligned with all the tools you need. Try this wonderful Italian recipe for Calzone di Cipolla (Onion Calzone) from one of our cooking vacations in Italy. This calzone is unlike any you've had before, and you can try it yourself on an authentic culinary tour to Puglia.
Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla) instructions
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait to rise. (5 min).
- Mix flours, salt, oil and yeast mixture and kneed until soft smooth dough forms. Divide in two pieces and leave in warm place to rise..
- Slice onions in thin strips across. Heat some olive oil in frying pan. Fry onions on high until excess liquid evaporates and onions start to brown, than reduce heat and cook on low for about 20-30min, turn occasionally to prevent burning, but don’t overdo it, because it will become mushy. Cook until soft and caramelized. Add some black pepper. No salt needed, because olives, anchovies and pecorino is quite salty. But you can adjust to your taste..
- Cool slightly. Add sliced olives, chopped anchovies, raisins and pecorino cheese. Set aside. Fill is ready..
- Place one piece of rolled dough in very good greased form. Add onion mixture and cover with second half of rolled dough. Pinch edges together. Let it rise for half an hour (or overnight). Pour more olive oil on top and pierce with fork in few places. You can sprinkle some coarse salt on top as well..
- Preheat oven to 395 F. Bake for about 30 min until caramel coloured on top and bottom. Enjoy!.
Home » Onion Calzone (calzone Di Cipolla). Calzone di cipolla alla pugliese (Puglian Onion Pie). Cover with plastic wrap for an hour. Sauté anchovies and onions until soft and cooked with a hint of brown color. Add tomatoes put on the side.